Electric scooters are an efficient way to get around until you need to get further afield. But beyond a certain point, they will struggle and won't make the journey. We explain how the range of your electric scooter works and present our top picks for the best e-scooters that can go up to 50 miles on a single charge. If you require some information on which scooter is right for you, follow this link. So, here we go.
There're many factors to consider when talking about the maximum distance that an e-scooter can cover:
Weight is a crucial factor in terms of energy usage. Lighter riders and scooters with less cargo will impact the motor's work, affecting how much distance it will cover before needing a charge.
Another factor that affects the potential distance an electric scooter can travel is how fast the rider moves. If a rider goes at top speed, then that, in turn, will influence how much energy the battery uses and thus how quickly it drains - if you are moving slowly, chances are your battery will only use a minimal amount of energy. The faster you ride, the faster your scooter's battery dies out too.
The condition of the battery
Whether your battery is worn out or not matters a lot in relation to how far you can go on one charge. This is because their condition dictates how well the battery charges and if it stores energy well.
Electric scooter riders must remember that where they choose to ride will affect how much battery is used and how long the battery lasts. For example, riding on rough terrain or hills will use more energy due to the strain placed on the device, and similarly, a smooth ride will be less intensive.
Ways of improving how far you can travel on an electric scooter:
- Don't be too hungry for speed if you want to travel further.
- Travel light, the unnecessary weight will strain the motor, causing it to use more energy.
- Take good care of the mechanical condition of your e-scooter, i.e., the bearings; the lower the friction, the better.
- Take a charger with you; it might come in handy.
- Don't forget about the pressure in your tires. It may seem unimportant, but it can actually give you a couple of miles.
Last but not least, we would like to present some notable examples of long-distance electric scooters:
- EMOVE Touring Portable and Foldable Electric Scooter - up to 32 miles
- Apollo Explore - up to 34miles
- KUGOO KIRIN M4 Pro Electric Scooter - up to 40 miles
- Apollo Phantom V2 - up to 40 miles
- Kaabo Mantis Pro SE Electric Scooter - up to 45 miles